Monday, July 10, 2017

On Dunlop tonight.


I've talked about why the bass season up here was extended all year. Non native fish with a disproportionate population of juvenile fish depriving native species of forage. This doesn't apply to all lakes in the region. Some I fish I rarely see juvenile fish. On others you see them mixed into the catch like one would expect. Then there's the lake I live on. Dunlop. The number of juvenile bass in this lake is extraordinary. Just silly. There are some nights were I am literally catching them one after the other on seemingly every cast. As a result of this overpopulation of juveniles, the lake gives up it's bigger fish far more rarely than most other lakes I fish. It should say something in the that if I want good bass, I will travel from this lake to other locales.


Tonight was a good night by Dunlop standards. Not only did I catch a lot of bass, but the there were some better fish in the mix, with one decent fish. The vast majority were caught on a floating line setup with a clouser. After a couple of hours though, it stopped producing, and I went to the full sink. This did get into fish, but notalotta.

The release.
Now, the one good thing about the juvenile population on Dunlop.................is that I have no more qualms about culling those fish than I do panfish. They should be culled. It's a good thing for the lake in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment