Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Getting Closer.


I can tell its getting closer to the opener for some merely looking at the stats for my blog. Every year, there is always a big spike on incoming traffic for the hatch charts. Time to get flies tied and gear readied. The weeks are getting fewer, and soon the rivers will be alive with anglers.

This will be the first time in many years I will not being following that trend. Currently, many species are open for me. Brookies, Rainbows, Lakers, Splake, all panfish, Pike............all open. Just waiting for the damned ice to melt.

Yeah, I have flies to tie, but I won't be consulting charts. I won't be working on small mayfly imitations either. For once. Now I'll be looking at tying big, honking, garish beasts for the early pike. I suppose some strip leeches are in order as well. It will be interesting chasing trout in lakes. Its been a long while since my days fishing for them in stillwater. Then, it was mostly in stocked ponds. This should be much more interesting.

It will be an interesting year. I am surrounded by water. I know none of it........to any real degree that is. I'll be targeting some species for the first time with the fly. Lakers and Pickerel. Never had any opportunity at them before with the fly. Never caught a Laker period. I'll be employing techniques and tactics that I have never, or seldom used before. At times, I almost fell it should be intimidating. It isn't though. Seems more of an adventure. Besides, I've proven to myself many times, that if a fish kicks my ass one day, I'll be back and kick its the next. Yeah, it's that personal. Maybe.




No comments:

Post a Comment