Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Water Watching................again.

I have been watching two bodies of water lately. Horne Lake right in town, and Dunlop Lake, which is about 20 minutes north of Elliot Lake. Horne is small and easy to get to, with ample shore fishing opportunities. In fact, it has docks for fisherman only ( no boats ). Its also very easy access. I get out there a lot. Dunlop is larger, and pretty much demands some sort of watercraft. Lately it's been the canoe, though I plan on getting my pontoon in there soon enough.

It has been interesting to see how the waters progress. Seeing changes take place in Horne, to be repeated on Dunlop three days later. Whether it be ice, the appearance of weeds, location of fish, etc. I can tell you know, that in two days, the plethora of Rock Bass in the shallows of Dunlop currently will have thinned out, as the predacious smallmouth move in.

Canoeing on Dunlop Lake.
Fishing Dunlop today was like it was on Horne the past few. Lots of Rockies, with the occassional smaller out of season bass. Incidental enough that I need not worry about pulling in my line. I had watched the Rock Bass in Horne go from almost none, to a few, to herds, along the shore. Very few Bass to speak of. Over the past week, incidental catches on Horne became progressively more frequent. Last night was the last night I will fish Horne till the opener. Couldn't catch panfish and bass were more than incidental. I can't fish under those conditions. Look at my last blog entry. Same lake, same time, two wildly different results.

Now, if my assumptions prove correct, Dunlop maybe primed and ready to go come Saturday. That's my hope at least. As mentioned before, the structure in that lake is of the stuff of which dreams are made. The potential there is amazing. One thing I did note, that was when I visited Dunlop last summer, I stayed on the north shore. The shore line saw there was not nearly as enticing as what I have found along the south west shore.

I think I am more excited about this opener than any in recent memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment