Friday, June 17, 2011

Crappie

Welcome to my newest foray into cyberspace with fishing. This is not new for me. I have been involved in some form with a number of sites. Before 'blogs' existed, I had one called 'Credit River Fly Fishing' in the 'early' days of the net when very little in the way of resources existed. Thinking back that site garnered an inordinate amount of traffic. So now I'm back. A little older and ( hopefully ) wiser.

Every spring, when possible, I like to get out for early season Crappie fun. When early season is depends on where you live, and how fast the lake/pond in question warms up. Once the required temps are reached, the Crappie come into the shallows to spawn. I have to admit. I have never bothered to research what those temperatures are. I have a general idea of the timing on the lakes I fish just by the habit of so many seasons. I also know by what stage the foliage is at.

When they do hit the shallows, they are easily sighted with the aid of polarized sunglasses. They school, so when you do find them, you will find them thick. They can easily be fished from shore, providing you have ample casting room. I prefer to wade as it does allow much better access to the fish. You will take so many fish that you'll be surprised when a cast doesn't result in a hook up. Like anything though, too much of a good thing............ It can become a little boring and repetitive after awhile ( same can be said of sex I suppose. ). Its probably best to limit ones time in this endeavour. Crappie also have a tendency to inhale flies. No matter how careful you are, there is always some mortality related to catch and release fishing. One doesn't need to sting every fish in a lake to enjoy themselves.

Gear is very simple. I generally use a 3 or 4wt rod with a floating line, with a leader never more than 9'. Although, when I know wind will be a major factor, I maybe tempted to bring a 5wt. For beginners this ( 5wt ) is what I would recommend. Choice of flies is an even simpler affair. Crappie are not picky. Olive Wolly Buggers will almost never fail you. Small streamers, large Nymphs, Poppers...........I actually think it would be harder to find something they will not take, than what they will. Within reason. If you start fishing #26 Caenis for them with no luck.........well, reread that beginners handbook of yours.

I will try to provide as much video here as possible. At this point I'm hoping to release some weekly. Here is the first instalment. Keeping in theme with the post, Fly Fishing For Crappie.

No comments:

Post a Comment