Saturday, June 18, 2011

A good week. For once. God damnit.

I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am to start putting in some real time on the water this season. After losing the previous four, I'm downright ecstatic.

Having been knocked out of beat, my rythym with the river disrupted, I hadn't been expecting to enjoy the success I have. But for whatever the reason, the river gods have been kind to me. The bugs have been doing what I expected, when I expected. The fish were behaving properly, rising to the plethora of insect activity. In my limited outings over the previous few years, this was certainly not the case. I don't want to even get into how I could walk into a blanket hatch and find no fish rising. And, well, that really screwed with my shit.

Fishing the Grand over four days last week, one evening, 3 days, provided some great fun. The fish were co-operative, taking Caddis adults and emergers. Being somewhat limited in mobility, and time ( back is still bad, I have to limit my hours on the water ), I've stopped obsessing with the piggy hunt. Now I'm generally content just to peg whatever rises. That fish were caught requiring a net was a happy bonus.

I'll finish this off with some footage shot over a couple of days. Unfortunately, my camera person on the occasion wasn't as keen on getting footage as they were fish. Can't blame'em.........but it is a fail if you are designated 'CAMERA OPERATOR'. I certainly have no inate need to show off fish I catch, but they certainly do add some flavour to a 'fishing' video. Certainly it was an opportunity missed...........you just can't gaurantee good fishing. But hey, something is better than nothing............... High and Dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment