Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Don't sweat the small stuff.



So, just a heads up. Of sorts. I've noticed some folks have had a tough time with the Grand over the last couple of days..........this may help a bit.

When I hit the river in the Fergus area yesterday morning......first thing I noticed as I got to the water was the presence of small caddis.........by small, I mean the Micro's. This gave me pause, as I had just reorganized my fly box and knew I had one single fly for that hatch.

Fortunately, the fish were initially more than happy to take the foam post caddis emergrs I've been fishing of late. This lasted while the surface activity was still sporadic. Eventually, the river started churning with rising fish and the emerger stopped producing as well. So, to the box and pretty much every Caddis or Crane ( selection's based on observations ) with very limited results. Certainly not in-line with the number of rising fish.

So, I finally bit the bullet and tied on the one Micro Caddis I had. Instant, and utter success. Now I was getting the fishes attention the way their activity suggested as possible..............up until the fly eventually blew up. Once that was done, so was I. No point in fishing patterns they would just snub. I went home and tied up a couple of dozen Micro's. The patterns I use are #20, Light tan Body, Tan wings.

This is hardly the first time I've encountered Micro's, or this particular reaction on the part of the fish. It maybe tough lumps the first day, but if you go back prepared the next, you'll clean house. I enjoy this hatch. The number of bugs is so prolific, that it can bring up what you'd swear is every fish in the river. The pattern to match is an easy tie, and you can do incredibly well with it.

edit: My apologies, the fly pictured is not a Micro Caddis. That is a 'Foam Post Emerger' tied in an 18. The picture is there for aesthetics, not reference. Sorry for any confusion

No comments:

Post a Comment