Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Getting a complex.



So many hatches. So many choices.

Trikes, Bwo's, cranes, the various caddis............. all on the water at once these recent mornings. Dance through the fly box to keep time these days. Trico duns seem to have been over powered by other hatches these last few outings. I'm still managing fish when the spinners hit, but the duns are rather unpopular the last bit. I can't see its because I'm missing on the action. I'm usually on the water pre-dawn, and the trike females usually come off with the first light to my knowledge. Bwo's as well, have been available in decent numbers, but haven't produced that magnificently. Far more productive has been the Crane Fly. If they don't take that after a few good passes, then its time to check the drink to see whats floating by. But the reality is, when I do check, I usually see a mixed bag at any given time. Cranes, Bwo's, Trikes, Crippled caddis.........can all drift by in a 20 second look see. Putting together the rise forms with whats in the floating food floatilla is usually a good starting point. No point in fishing spinners to a splashy rise form now is there? If there is spinners in the drink though..........thats usually a ticket for a few fish.

A 1/2 dozen fish landed over a couple of hours is decent enough I suppose, but a month ago that would have been a dismal performance. Not the same ball game though. I did manage a fish pushing the high teens that was as good as any fish I caught this year. He sucked up a #20 Pennsylvania Tailwater Crane just after sun up.

The white flecks in the pic are Trike spinners, and can be seen better if you click the pic to enlarge.

Be aware, these are my observations. Others can be out at the same time and find a different situation. I have heard of buddies doing well on BWO's on days when Cranes have been my key. Different sections can have different results. What you get here is not an ANSWER. You get a look at my observations and findings. What worked, or didn't work, for ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment