Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Been awhile.

So, as I mentioned, a tip lead to some water on the White River. Since it came to me through a tip from a local, I`m not going to say to much about its exact location. From what I know, the water holds Bows, Specks, and Whitefish.

The Little White from earlier this year.
Even after checking out the location the other day, it still took some searching around to find the exact spot that had been related to us. When I did find it, I was impressed. I didn`t get enough time to really fish it hard, and it was mid-day, with little surface activity from fish. A number of caddis were egg laying, and I saw a mayfly which I didn`t identify on the water a couple of times.

I did however spy a fish smack a one of the small tan caddis that were flitting on the surface. My determination based solely on aerial observation was that a tan-tan caddis in a size 16 aught to be appropriate. I managed to put a cast over top of it and hooked my first trout since moving here. A bow of 10`` or so. It was highly acrobatic. Highly. I was impressed with its vertical. I managed to rise a couple of others.

A guy who lives not to far away stopped by on his ATV. He confirmed that indeed, its a good section for trout. Nice to know. I`ll be heading back soon enough at a more appropriate hour.

Oh, and I have come to  a decision. I despise furled leaders. Just my opinion. Don`t get upset by it. I find I can do far more, with ease, with a hand knotted leader. One of my major peeves is that lays out to0 straight. It does this exceedingly well. Thing is, I almost never want that when I`m throwing dry`s. I want slack S`s. Serpentine. I did  not find it responded well to my attempts to rectify this with mends, casting or otherwise. As a result, I have just finished tying up and swapping out for a trusty old hand-knotted leader.

On the ride home I was contemplating that I had a new river to once again figure out the bugs on. I enjoy that. Somewhat. I mean, its always good when we are in tune with the rivers happenings. Not so fun on the nights when fish key in on something you have never seen before, and subsequently have no pattern the fish will respond to.


No comments:

Post a Comment