Sunday, September 8, 2013

Recent outings.

So, I have been out twice in search of trout. Once was back to the previous spot where I took my first fish. This time I managed to hook several, but land one.

I will tell you this know...............not liking the river fishing bit. Just to finicky and annoying. My back starts giving me grief quick. Pontooning is so much easier.

I have to go back to that water prepared a little better. By that, I mean be set up for nymphing. The guy we got the tip from was a 'dry fly only' sorta guy, by his own admission. Those that have been reading my tripe for long enough will be aware of my affinity for such. So thats how I went rigged. Immediately upon viewing the water I thought........classic nymph water. I should have been setup as such on my second visit.

So far up here, I have seen shit oads of caddis, and few mayflies. The fish I hooked where all on caddis.

I also went out on another day, looking for more water. I found a real nice stretch, but could not interest the fish in a dozen of so casts. You know, I am so damn spoiled I expect immediate results. I really have to get over that. I can't blame my move up here and my other fishing exploits here for that though. That comes from fishing for trout in S.O. I really need to adjust my expectations.

Fish n' Chips. Fresh fish, gluten free.
I was back on Horne tonight for the first time in  a long while. Was hunting perch meat. Caught lots of those. Also caught a good number of bass. I broke off a huge one. You know those overhand knots that appear in our leaders, often via tailing loops? Thats where it broke me off. I have on 20lb tippet material. I was rather surprised. Tells you how much a simple knot like that can affect the integrity of the line.

I fished a few different flies today. All were successful. The Rabbabou Clouser and an Olive Wooly Bugger produced most frequently, and it was the bugger that hooked the mega-bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment