Monday, July 23, 2012

GFC



With the temperatures high on the trout rivers, my sporadic outings have been for bass and panfish. I'm lovin' the pontoon on the hot evenings. Previously I had a tube...............finding the pontoon much more enjoyable.

With the fluctuating temps, I've had some days better than others. Even on the slower days there's usually enough playful fish to keep me happy.

The fly pictured is something that just popped into my head on night. Very easy to tie, and effective. It pops nicely, or can be made to slowly swim. This one has a mono weed guard. Interesting to note this fly can literally be tied from scraps. Being familiar with food fare of Bass, you could probably guess what I was aiming for.

I hadn't even considered a name till now, so for lack of anything better, lets call this the

Green Fish Critter
Hook: 4 -6
Tail: Marabou
Body: Olive Mono
Thorax: Olive Saddle Hackle.......sort of. It was yellow till I took an indelible marker to it.
Head: Closed cell foam. Was yellow, olive marker.

With any pattern I pull out of my head, it goes through a number of variations. If I have used marabou, the tail is often shorter.

This pattern floats well, is easy to tie, and uses cheap, readily available materials. All good things. It catches fish, even better. If your looking for a new addition, give this a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment