Monday, July 9, 2012

So, did some more green fish'n this morning. Really wasn't my day.


Not long into the morning I snapped my rod just above the ferrule, leaving me with a 4' stick to fish with. Long casts were out. SMH.

After a painful while of crippled casting, I hunted down and hooked a big pig of a carp. Drag was not set at all and and in short order my reel was bird nested and the carp gone and laughing. Oh well. Par for the course at that point.

I did briefly get to play around chucking some plastics. Works as good as they always have, and accounted for the largest bass of the day.

This was only my second broken fly rod in several decades, and is a prime example of the dangers of buying a rod used. There is no way it should have broke under the conditions that it did. There was a flaw in the blank. I read awhile ago, that the number one cause of broken rods is due to damage from bead heads. 'Dingers' are not too much different than shooting your rod with a BB. I highly suspect this was behind the demise of this rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment