Tuesday, August 9, 2016

More on top.

Heading out
If you've been following this blog long enough you will know..........I like big fish. Thats usually what I fish for. They are what I hunt. However, this isn't through snobbery, or disdain for smaller fish/species. One of the other things I've mentioned throughout this blog is that it's got to be easy. That is, due to my health issues, I have to try and find the best possible fishing, with the least amount of effort. For the record, not putting out the effort is hardly the recommended course of action. Effort is often rewarded in this sport. However, my circumstances require a somewhat different approach.

I prefer catching to fishing. Over the past couple of evenings, despite some effort, I couldn't find any pigs to play with. There was other games to be had. Specifically, smaller bass have been feeding on top in the evenings. One night witnessed a tremendous hatch ( which I didn't identify ), with all sorts of fish breaking the surface, taking emergers. The other nights have been very sporadic surface activity, though the fish would still respond to a caddis or stimulator. I have been catching a lot of fish on the 3 wt and its been a lot of fun.

a look back at home
We have an insane amount of caddis up here. They're are also a ton of bugs I am not familiar with. Mayflies? Well, working on that. Saw my first Hex on the lake I live on. That was cool, but I'm not sure in the numbers that will come off. Not sure any exact identification is needed as far as fishing goes. The fish respond well well to anything small, and floaty. I've thrown a number of different flies that are very different, but produce very much the same results. I prefer throwing caddis. The resulting takes ( and hook sets )are exactly like you'd expect with trout. A nice throwback as I haven't done that kind of fishing in a few years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment