Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Down Deep.

Splish splash, I was catching this bass.........
So, last time I talked about talking a note from the Bassmaster pro's in regards to fighting bass. There is more they can show us about flyfishing for bass.

Conventional writing on the subject tends to tell us that when fishing for bass with a fly, it can mostly be done on a floating line. There are occasions when they note an intermediate sink might be required if the fish are 'deep'. Deep being 20' according to some authors. For the most part, they may be right. However, if you've watched the guys on TV gearing fish.........there are times when the are pulling fish out of weeds more than 20'. Substantially more.

........from the depths..........
I can tell you from my own experience, there are days that have been saved by dragging the bottom. The fish in the last post was caught in close to 30' of water that way. The fish in this post was caught the next day in the same spot. Often. I will use a fly with some buoyancy ( GFC, Muddler, etc......) to keep it suspended off the bottom, and hopefully away from snagging up on rocks or weeds.

Now, I'm not trying to sell you a full sink. Just trying to offer a bit of perspective. Just because a technique may not be popular, does not mean its not effective. I do not carry intermediate sinks anymore. For myself I find I am much better suited with a floating and full sink rig. Mind you, this choice is also affected greatly by the lakes and conditions I encounter. Other anglers experience may dictate they never fish anything other than a floater. Mileage varies by driver. You can be guaranteed that the guy fishing largemouth in Texa's encounters a different experience to the fisherman in Northern Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment