Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Working on a hotfix.

So, after a spell of great fishing, you can understand my consternation when for no apparent reason, the fish shutdown on me. This can happen for various reasons. I knew it wasn't the weather, as that had been stable for some time. Where I had been hitting fish deep, they no longer seemed interested. The shallows didn't have anything better for me. So what's up?

I knew the fish were there. I was trying to work out in my head a solution to my difficulties when a solution came in sight. Literally. I was getting a glass of water late at night, looked out the kitchen window, and saw a Hex sitting there..............and I wondered. Is that it? Are the fish on Hex's? I remembered an article where the author related a tale from his youth where his father and uncle ( bait fisherman ) complained about how bad the fishing was when these were hatching. As a fly fisherman, the author of course found the exact opposite when fishing an imitation of the Hex's.

........fish crack.
So the next night I had a few Hex Duns for trial. More or less. By that I mean I tied some Half and Half's...........a hybrid Mayfly/Caddis deal. Not the resounding success I was hoping for. I did move some fish........but not enough to be satisfied. I wasn't finished though. I knew before I even tried the duns I was far better of fishing the nymph. Hex's come off after dark. Some do come of during the light sporadically, and that keeps some fish looking up. The nymph however would be much more accessible to the bass.

I tied up a really basic impression and tried it the next night. It was an instant success. I started hitting fish as soon as I started and it continued that way for most of the night. May have been the greatest number of bass I have ever caught. I was nailing fish in anywhere from 6-22' of water. I never changed the fly I started with. No reason to. It was producing, despite the fact it got turned into an unrecognizable mess.

More of a thrill than the fish, was just figuring them out. I love that S#!T! It is very satisfying to have ones efforts rewarded.

Needless to say, I am anticipating my next outing. Probably even tie up some half way decent nymph's.


No comments:

Post a Comment