Tuesday, May 14, 2013

......because if you don't.

Between the back, and other commitments, it wasn't till this evening I could manage to get out. Not far either. Just to Horne Lake. Before heading out, I lined up a new reel. As I was doing so, I noticed my leader was showing some signs of abrasions. After inspections, I decided to remove the last 2". Thinking, the other blemishes were not significant to warrant removal. Besides, it meant I would have to replace the leader.

So, in  other words, I got lazy. And paid.

The action certainly wasn't fast, but in two hours I hooked into 2 good pike.  Both times I broke them off. Couldn't believe it. Not how I lose most of my fish. I know why of course. Don't pay attention to a basic, pay the price. As soon as I noticed the damage, I should have replaced the entire leader. At the time I first noticed it I thought to myself " you know, if I don't change it, I wouldn't be surprised if it cost me a fish. This is flyfishing 101'.". And I was right. Well, mostly. It cost me two fish, not one.

No comments:

Post a Comment