Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Exploring.


........my first good look at the Little White.
 So, once I again I was out exploring. It may be a concept foreign to some. Its what we used to do before the advent of the internet. Instead of relying on a search engine, its more reliant on car engines. Though mind you, I do make use of modern interwebz type technology. In this case scouting out rivers in my area that might be promising trout domiciles. To that end, I had a look-see at a couple of rivers that should hold trout. Actually, I'm pretty positive there are trout in both. Until I get one to hand though, they are a myth to me.

What I've been told, is both the Boland River, and Little White River, hold both Speck's and Bows. I am wondering if there might be a steelhead run as well. The Little White is a feeder into the much larger Mississagi. Having trouble determining if steelhead can reach the LWR though. The Boland feeds into the Little White.

What I could determine for certain today, is both rivers are showing the effects of our recent big melt. Both were swollen over their banks. I took a much more detailed look at the Little White. I was very impressed with what I saw. Access to the river is unbelievable coming from Southern Ontario. I swear the road was laid about by a fisherman. A blind man in a thunderstorm could easily find access. As I mentioned, the river was incredibly swollen, so I had to use my minds eye to envision its personality at lower levels. What I saw were many, many, incredibly nice looking runs. Bugs were coming off, and I saw a couple of flippers come up, but I would have been risking life and limb to get at them.

As for the Boland, that will wait till another day. That river I have more intel on than the white. A local fisherman, who appears on the Dimestore Fisherman website as 'Pro Staff', told me enough about the river to understand why he suggested making an hour long drive to fish certain stretches. I can access closer to where I live, maybe 15 minutes up the road, but there are these tails of a honey hole........... ;)

.........now theres some easy access.
It was very encouraging to see what one day did to the ice. A couple of lakes went from mostly ice covered, to mostly open. Even a 10min drive to the south shows a dramatic difference. Getting so pumped up I can hardly contain it. Probably worth noting, I am scoping out trout while the lakes thaw. What I really want is some big ole Pike. I`m pretty ambivalent what I`ll be fishing for up here. I`ve generally like to follow what ever is hot. If its Bass one week, trout the next so be it. I`ve always maintained I like catching more than fishing. Table fare is also now a relevant consideration. Guaranteed more than a few perch will be heading home with me at the end of the day.
......bad picture of impressive peak.



No comments:

Post a Comment