Saturday, May 11, 2013

Heating up.

While the weather has taken a dip toward chilly, the fishing is definitely heating up. Reports of Brookies and Pike have been rolling in. The past 3 days have seen catch reports go from famine to feast.

I went looking at more water before heading to Horne for a couple of hours. Wanted perch, but ended up with the biggest pike of my career. I was ecstatic. A perch hole that had previously been productive was notably devoid of fish. I figured that predators were likely  present, and was very happy to find it was a big pike. It sucked in a size 8 White Clouser I had been fish deep and slow. I was very fortunate in the hook set. I have been fishing a level leader of 8lb Berkely Flourocarbon. I expected the nasty little teeth of the  pike to make short work of it. The hook however, was tucked nicely in the corner of its mouth. Especially handy since I had none of my handy toothy-critter-hook-removal-tools with me.

I was very satisfied with this fish for a number of reasons. I had been looking for pike. Expecting them to come into the shallow bays. One of the reasons I was out perching...........knowing the pike should be in behind them in short order. Catching a nice fish is one thing, understanding why it was caught is another. I`m always tickled pink when its my knowledge base which leads to a good fish. As well, a big assed pike was high up on my list of `to does`as far as my move to the north is concerned. I can now scratch that of the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment