Saturday, May 24, 2014

Perching.

Took them long enough. We are like 2 weeks behind schedule here. Glad I am not setting a clock by these guys.

Where there was one caught yesterday, there were many caught today. The overnight change is welcome. Mind you, I did not run across the larger perch I was hoping to hit, but hey, it makes for a fun evening of catching......with  a little fishing too. For those new to the sport, it can provide a great opportunity to work on skills while also being rewarded for their effort. Other species can be less unforgiving to a beginners foibles.

..........not even a fish stick. Back he goes to grow.
A buddy of mine, Dan Heculuck, makes up these jig flies which account for a lot of fish. They are like crack to panfish, but I have also taken bass and carp on them. Perch make themselves stupid over these flies. As fortune would have it, a care package of these little gems arrived they other day. Had I not forgotten them ( and all my other flies ) they would have seen action yesterday. They certainly were welcome today.

Anyone remember the video on Crappie I posted way back? Maybe? Maybe not? Anyways, I talked about, and showed, that when those fish are spawning, they can be had on pretty much every cast. You can catch them until your bored. Perch can be very much the same. It will probably not be to long before I am of hunting something else, though I will chase perch throughout the season for their fabulous table fare.

Here is a short exemplifying the type of hook up rate that one can encounter when doing the early season perch thing. No edits, just one straight shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment