Monday, August 5, 2013

EL, EL, ON.

.....this mid-lake rock is pretty cool.
I was eager to get back out on to Elliot Lake. Yesterday had been great, and I was hoping for more.

Not sure if its just this year, and or my luck, but there is pretty much always a wind when I've been out. Not a big fan of the wind. Certainly makes for much more work in the pontoon boat. We have also been getting rain almost daily. Although none hit the ground as far as I know, a system did move in threatening a down pour and create some strong winds. Enough to chase me off the lake early. Elliot is not like Horne. Its a much larger waterway. No way I want to get stuck out there in a storm. As it was, staring at the fish finder allowed the cloud cover to get right on top of me before I noticed it.
.......drop shot fish.
Not big, but thanks for playing.
I wanted to try a sinking line today, to see what I could get. Answer was....not much. I got a couple of fish, but conditions were different from yesterday. The fish were not where the had been the day before. A day earlier, and I suspect the sinking line would have worked wonders.
Things started off slow. I was probably out for an hour or so before I got my first fish. A smaller sized smallie. I caught a couple of those to start things off. It was a lot slower than I had anticipated. Not until around 7 oclock did the fishing pick up.
Quality fish.

10-12' was the ticket today.
Chamois Strip Minnow.
At that point, I had positioned myself within a quick dash of the shore where I put in. Yesterday, I had some hits and took a small fish in this area. Figured it was worth checking out. Worked out well. I caught a number of quality fish working a weed line edge in about 10 -12' of water. One fish.............was real big. If it was a bass........I would have liked to have gotten it onto scales. It was not long of a hookup. Long enough for me to say 'holy fuck this fish is big' and start to worry about the logistics of landing it before it popped the hook.
The shittier the weather got, the better the fishing was. In the end, I could see rain coming down in the distance and bailed. It was also bloody cold.

.......big ass bass.
The fly rod proved to be more effective today, despite my ill advised venture with the sinking line. When I started working the 10-12' depth, I switched back to a floater and had immediate success. I fished Yellow Clouser and a bead head Olive Wooly Bugger as well as a Chamois Strip Minnow. The old reliable bugger managed the best fish of the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment