Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day off.

I should be taking off more. My body is becoming progressively more sore from my activities pursuing fish. So, no water time.

I did partake in some fishing related activities though. Took a drive to have a look at the White River again. A lot of the accesses had folks camping on them. As I mentioned yesterday, there are much more folks in these parts with cottagers, tourists, campers, and the like. There is also the 'Uranium Heritage Days' festival this weekend, with a concert tonight headlined by Finger 11.

.............Yellow and Red popper raring to go.
Anyways, access is not so easy as I thought. With the underbrush grown in, I found scant few places I'd want to enter thee water at. Given it was mid afternoon, I really didn't want to prospect long. I did make a few casts and brought what I took to be a rainbow of about 12" to the surface. Not sure how much I will want to be fishing the river. I'll go back when the folks aren't camping and see whats up, but I'm thinking its just going to be to much effort, and effort always turns to pain for me.

I was hoping to get out tonight. Even loaded up the 'toon and drove down to the lake. As soon as I saw the chop, I turned around. See above for 'effort'. I had really wanted to get out and see if I could nail something with the newest popper to come out of my shop. The finish was dry, I added the hardware, and even tied it on the rod in anticipation of the event.


...........bleeding throat.
I was recently asked if I work from patterns for my lures. The short answer is no. But I mean, come on, there are some colour combinations many of us know to be killer. Yellow and Red & Red and White are always the two that come immediately to mind for me, and to I incorporate into many of my lures and flies. Green and white is another favourite of mine. But we have all seen so many lures, incorporating the same basic shapes and colours, that coming up with something that will trigger fish should be second nature. One thing I like to add to the white underbellies of my poppers, is a slight bleeding throat as a trigger.

2 comments:

  1. From what little bit I have seen of your Popper work, I am quite impressed. I agree on your choices of color combinations, too; Bass beware!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel, you very kind. I'm very happy with what I'm producing. Still some things I would like to improve on though. Like flytying, it's a hobby where I am constantly learning. Usually from my mistakes. ;)

      Delete