Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Great night.

Best night I have ever had for bass fishing.

I decided to head to Horne Lake with my pontoon boat after dinner. The bass haven't been as easy to pick of from the shore as I like, so I thought to do a little work. Also, I was very curious to have a look at the lakes topography with the fish finder.

Horne is very much different than the only other lake I graphed, Porridge. That had a maximum depth of 15' Parts of Horne I measured at 40'+. As opposed to Porridges slight slope, Horne goes more like 6' not far from the shore, to 10 -15' about 20 yards out, then a deep drop.

I discovered what I wanted to know. The bass, and perch, were in 9 -12' of water. Lots of them, and big ones. I haven't used a finder much. 2 outing with it I think. I was shocked as shit when I managed to turn those big blobs on the screen into big fish in my hand.

I took one fish on my handmade popper that was successful the other night. It was a decent enough fish, but nowhere near the 2 - 3 lbers I was averaging on the fly. A yellow Clouser in size 8 to be exact. I got into a good half dozen of these. It was a lot of fun. There were also smaller fish whose sole purpose it seemed was to intercept the fly before I could get it to the hawgs. The largest fish weighed in at 4lb.

Two camera related boo-boos. One, I forgot the memory card, so not a lot of photos got taken. Compounding that, the largest fish swamped my camera but good. I am hoping for a miracle 'cuz it ain't healthy.

.........my largest smallmouth to date at 4lbs.
I know some folks are going to hate this shot. For a number of reasons. Can't say I blame you. One reason........the forced perspective bullshit. It is bullshit. I wanted to get a regular shot, and a forced perspective, to show the difference side by side. Unfortunately, the camera operator is not familiar with my DSLR this was the only shot that came out. It is a kill shot. Now, I know I have stated on this blog, that having moved to a locale that can afford my harvest, harvest I will. Much different approach for me than the last 3 decades of unerring catch and release. Out of all the fish caught, only this one came home. Usually, I will avoid such photo's. Even if a fish is going to get culled, I will generally take the pic in a manner that wouldn't advertise the fact. It is what it is however. Besides...........this fish killed my camera...........so f#*k him.

If I can salvage any pics from my point and shoot, I will add them. It is currently in a bag of rice, hopefully removing the moisture.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Brian. Kill or No-Kill, taking a photo of a nice Bass is quite commendable. Nothing wrong with culling a few fish now and then either. Sorry to hear about your camera, but, the rice bag just might work for you. Happy hook ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya Mel, As it turns out, the fish must have been cursed. Besides killing my point and shoot, my Canon 7D DSLR stopped working immediately after this pic! Could not believe it.
    I tend to agree with you. However, a lot of flyfisherman would not agree with us. I recently took crap on a forum for suggesting there is a time and place for C&R, just as there is for harvesting.........both of which are resource management tools. For some, C&R has taking on almost religious proportions. I wonder if people have become so far removed from their role in the natural food chain that they forget where there food comes from. If its meat, fish, chicken whatever, someone killed it for others to eat. Personally, I think it more ethically correct if I am the one culling my own meat instead of laying that onus on someone else. I hadn't culled a fish in decades until this year, as the resources I was fishing were fragile. Now, I have a very hard time bringing myself to cull fish. It is not something I am enjoying, but it is something I feel I need to do.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment on this issue!

    ReplyDelete