Wednesday, June 26, 2013

More on Horne.

Well, it is interesting how things go. Last night it was the fly gears night to shine, tonight, not so much. Now, keep in mind, after last nights success, I was thinking repeat. Didn't happen. I did find the fish in pretty much the same type of water, but my bass all came on spin gear.
.......love this addition.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I had one day were I missed a number of good fish on soft plastic worms. The hook set was something much different to what I am used to from fly fishing. Tonight I seem to to have figured it out. Still lost a number of decent fish, but I also hooked a few as well.

......note the FloatTubeFanatic mount
for the finder.
......not easy taking pics solo in a pontoon
Lots of little bass and panfish were caught. The number of large fish landed were three. 2 of the fish were the 2 - 3lb average fish. I managed to hook into another big fish that probably was slightly larger than last nights 4lb'er. It hit one of my poppers as soon as it touched the water. Since it was pretty much as long a cast as I could make, it made for one helluva fight. I have not hooked a bass up here that does not go airborne. And bass this big? Man-o-man, what a show. I actually thought I had it licked when a final aerial attempt dislodged my lure.
...........obviously I struggle trying to come up with pic ideas.
As an interesting note, I seem to lose far less fish with barbless flies, than I do with barbed trebles. Or the barbed hooks I use for plastics. I wonder if the thinner gauge of the flies gives for more penetration, and this maybe why. Meh, something to ponder while I'm fishing I suppose.

One thing I should mention. Look at a map and see where Horne Lake is located. Its right in the middle of town! Its a small lake at that, and it produces great fish. Gotta love it. :)

By the way, yes, I do realize a swivel is not the best idea on plastic rigs. What can I say? I am lazy. There were a number of lures I planned on using, and I am so damned lazy I preferred not to knot.

2 comments:

  1. What a great fortune to have a productive bass water like Horne right in the middle of town. More time on the water that way and less driving! Gotta' love the fact that your Bass like aerial shows. Sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on all accounts! The drive is minimal. I could, and some folks do, take a bus down to the lake. A blast it is. I can hardly believe we are less than a week into the season. I really should get some video shot of these acrobats. :)

    ReplyDelete