Saturday, July 20, 2013

Busy

Been busy with things other than fishing, but usually somewhat related to it, these days. I think I may have been out for a perching one night since my last report.

.........mom texas rigging her new spinning rod.
Tonight I went out with my mom to fish for a bit. We bought her a spin combo on sale at CT today, and she wanted to learn how to use it. She hasn't really fished anything other than flyrods before. Fortunately, despite some bumps initially, she picked it up soon enough to get it to where the fish could be.

Initially we went to Horne. I was hoping to find some perch from the shore to play with. The spot I chose turned out badly as it did not give mom enough room to cast freely, and the perch were not around. SO, we then went to Depot. There it was much more open, though we would have to hunt bass instead of perch.

Depot Lake is always a beautiful sunset.
Sadly, mom didn't get into any bass tonight. I tried hard with plastics and got no interest either. It wasn't until the very last bit of light I that I managed to get some fish interested. When I first had arrived, I tried a precursory search via the topwater. When this got no initial interest, I went to plastic. When I switched back in the waning moments of the light, I had instant success. As in, the popper hit the water, and a fish hit it. A good fish too. Sadly, he busted me off close to shore. I don't break of a lot of fish. The line had become damaged without my notice. The popper I lost was one of the first I had made, and I was sad to see it go. I was also not happy to have some poor fish swimming around with that impediment in its mouth. Hopefully it is not in a place that will interfere with feeding and/or can be thrown easily.

..............popped.
After tying on another popper, a made a cast to roughly the same area as the last. It din't take long to hook up with another fish. Pop, pop, pop, BOOM! This fish was an acrobatic expert, getting some impressive air will tumbling head over tail. Not nearly as big as the first fish, but certainly a decent fish with a lot of energy.

Still amazes me I can get fish like this from such little shore access, and in such a small window of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment