Saturday, July 6, 2013

Popped it.

3lb'r. Till I weighed it. Then it lost 1/4 of a
pound.
That feeling of elation I got the other night with the success of my new fly pattern was replayed tonight. This time my satisfaction came to me via a feisty smallmouth pounding one of the poppers I produced.

........a satisfying moment.
It wasn't what I would call a stellar evening. I landed a few bass, lost a few, but it was no where near as good as it had been up till the last two days.................I think I may already have become spoiled. If this continues much longer, I may have to start looking at different tactics. Till now I have been going with what works, but it ain't really working anymore.

.........thank you Mr. Bass!
To that end, one thing I tried today, was casting a popper over a likely piece of water. It was 5 - 7 ft deep, adjacent to a previously productive bed. There was a good chop on the water, also an indicator that a surface lure might be the ticket. I was kind of shocked that it got a response on the first cast, albeit about 7' from the boat just as I was about to pull out and make another cast. This was a popper that started as a block of wood which I crafted into a pretty handsome lure, if I do say so myself. I probably was more intent on landing this particular than any other in recent memory. The next cast also garnered a whack, but I lost the fish in short order. Kind of a good sign as far as topwater goes. Far more surface action today than in over a week.........but that isn't really saying much.

2 comments:

  1. As the fishing gets tough, the "tough" get going. Nice work being able to get some action with the Popper. Sounds like you have them working your patterns both down and on the surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. I do have to up my game though. I'm seeing fish ( on the finder) I should be catching. My thought is that they are in the thick of the foliage and I am going to have to use a heavy plastic to bust down in there.

      Delete