Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Horne Lake.

The last couple of nights have seen me on Horne Lake. I have not been there for the Bass. It has been for the perch. They are a regular staple of my diet currently an I was running low, so time to stock the freezer. The bass have not been good to me recently on Horne. All I am landing are smaller fish. I do better in an hour from shore on Depot than I do in 4 on Horne lately. Anyways, the goal was perch, so perch it would be.

Horne sunset.
Perch are generally pretty eager to hit a fly. The one thing I have noted about fly selection, is to avoid tails. A Wooly Worm will serve better than a Wooly Bugger for example. Perch, more than any other fish I can recall, have an annoying trait of grabbing the trailing part of a fly. There have been times I have near hauled them into the boat this way. They do they same thing with plastics. A fly I used to tonight, and one that has served me well with panfish, is a tiny jig fly. A friend of mine, Dan Heculuk tied me up a few dozen of these a while back, and they get put to good use. I also got some bass, biggest maybe a pound. These were incidental catches as they were not the target.

I have spent more time in the shop lately than on the water. I finally setup the rest of my tools for lure making. One very positive change I have made is to go from Basswood to pine. I am finding it much nicer to work with, and it lends to a nicer finished product. I am awaiting some new parts that I am hoping to integrate into some new designs. Still working on the paints and clear finish. Very happy with where I am at. The lures were looking good before, but now they are even better.

2 comments:

  1. Sure a pretty sunset there, Brian. Good advice on the Perch fly fishing or spin fishing either way. Short bites are frustrating on Perch, Crappie etc. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunsets up here are gorgeous! I try to see them every night.

      I think the short bites are a game of annoy the angler for the fish. If I am fishing for bass, and I am getting short hits from perch.......not so much of a concern. If I am looking for a stringer of perch........the short hits are very consternating. The flies I was using are small. Size #18. Not something I would normally throw for larger lake fish, but I have caught some decent bass and some large carp with the pattern as well as loads of panfish. :)

      Delete