Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Couple of more.

Two more poppers ready to due battle with some bass. KVD Elite trebles underside with a #6 trailer. Looking great. The fish have been more and more likely to take topwater in my last few outings. Hoping to get into some fish with these two soon enough. I've used this colour configuration a few times and really like it.

Those were pretty much my last two poppers for awhile. I have a couple of other designs I want to turn out. I had turned a bunch of bodies and had been making my way through them. Now they are through and its back to the lathe.

Why a single hook trailer? Simple, I'm not sure how great trebles really are. Seems to me that I have lost less fish on single hooks than trebles. This is an experiment. I like the way things go and I might produce all my lures with a single trailer.

Addendum: I went out to Depot Lake with the dog again. It was way to windy for pontooning tonight.
It was even to windy to cast with any efficiency. Still, in the 15 minutes or so I tried, I did manage a bass. Not a small one, not a big one, but an alright kind of smallie. He hammered one of the above poppers in the chopped surface. Nice of him to do that. Packed it up soon after as the wind was making things less than pleasant, and I could claim some small victory at that point. The trailers tied on size 6 streamer hook looked great in the water. It's simply marabou tied in close to the eye with a red hackle, and some red crystal flash highlights. It is to this that the bass was pegged.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Brian, impressed with your poppers. Do you think Colorado Bass might like them. May have to beg, borrow, or steal a couple from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel!

      No need to beg, borrow, or steal. I just finished setting up some required tools and will be turning some more lure blanks shortly. I will gladly send you one. Once I'm at the point of painting we will touch base on styles and paint jobs available..........so, it will be a 'custom' job. How about that? ;)
      ..........and absolutely they will work on Colorado Bass. These are 'old school' styles that have been catching fish for decades. For an experienced angler like yourself I'll even guarantee it. ;)

      Thanks for the positive feedback Mel. It's appreciated.........and apparently pays dividends. :)

      Delete