Sunday, July 21, 2013

R.I.P. Yellow Submarine.

.............dang, I liked this lure.
Yellow Submarine was the name I had started to call one of my poppers. I had caught a decent number of fish with it over its short life, and some good ones. It seemed to have a gift for enticing larger fish. Today, one of those larger fish made of with it. Snapping me off within feet of the shore. First cast too.
...........little guy that ate a wacky worm.
I had just arrived, and heaved it out to a rough vicinity where I had hooked fish previously. Did not take long. A couple who were not to far away witnessed the scrap via some nice aerials by the fish, later asked how big. I told them 3lbs, but I'm betting it would have beaten that mark fairly easily.
another Depot beauty.

The rest of the night was alright. Alright in that I hooked some good fish. Nearly all of them managed to beat me in battle, throwing hooks. Certainly more activity than on previous nights.

After my initial scouring of the surface with topwater baits, I put on a wacky worm. Three casts, three hook ups. It was odd. Even odder was that after those three hookups, I could get no interest. T'was odd.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to read here about the "Submarine". What's the chances of catching that fish again, and hopefully, getting your Popper back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL............Oddly enough, one of my first thoughts when I hooked it was whether or not it would be the same fish I lost a popper to last night!

      This is bizarre. I rarely break off fish. I may replace the line just to be sure its not that. Just nothing good about fish wearing those as jewelry around the lake.

      Delete
    2. Brian, curious as to if you are using your fly rod or a spinning rod to toss those Poppers? Thanks, Mel

      Delete
    3. Spinning rod. Being the first year in decades that I have used one, I am getting a kick out of using it. For a while, I had been wanting to put into use all those techniques I saw on the pro's fishing shows. Certainly those hours should count for something.........so the spinning rod sees as much action as the fly gear, at the moment. I haven't done up any poppers for the fly rod using this method, nor am I sure if I will. For the fly rod I will probably stick to patterns which can be produced faster. :)

      Delete