Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stormy on Horne.

Heheh........got caught by a thunderstorm while I was in the middle of the lake in my toon. Something I do not want to experience again anytime soon.
Before the evil little storm snuck up on me, I was having an odd time. In a couple of hours, I only caught 2 fish. This was unusual. More odd was the fact they were both big bass. Usually, panfish are all about and ready to play. Not today. Nary did I see a single one.

Today was the first day the temps had started to climb back up to at least the seasonal averages. I had previously mentioned I figured a spike in the temps would do my fishing some good. Did seem to work that way, for at least the bass.

Sky looks alright, and this is minutes from the deluge.
Came fast from the other direction.
I caught both bass in 12 -13 feet of water on Clousers. The first fish came shortly after starting. The second just before the rain two hours later. The first fish measured 16 inches and weighed 2 1/2lbs. Second fish saw no measurement device. It was however, considerably larger than the first, and larger than the 4lb fish I caught earlier this season, making it my biggest bass to date. That fish gave me a great fight. I could see under water foliage on my finder, and caught this fish above it. He immediately dove down into it and made things a lot more difficult for me. My wrist is still sore from the scrap.

Hands down the fly rod was the better option for me today. Could not even get a panfish to hit my spin gear. The bass were both caught on sparsely tied Clousers. Predominately yellow, with red and green crystal flash highlights.

The weather quickly turned to shit tonight. A very dark line of storm clouds snuck up on me. I could not see their approach from where I was in the lake. When I noticed it suddenly get dark, I looked up and it was on top of me. I managed to get two thirds of the way back to the launch before I was caught in a vicious downpour. The waves were kicked up pretty high by a fierce wind, and it was all I could do to get to the nearest landfall. Hauled my toon and gear through some pretty intense foliage. I will assess the damage latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment