Friday, July 5, 2013

No Bass.

Nope. Not a single one. Had a few hits. Saw one attack and miss my worm 3 times, one after the other, but no bass came to hand. I could see them, on my fish finder, but I couldn't hook them. Mind you, I was having difficulty getting getting my offerings near them. The perch were aggressive to the point of annoyance. Those I caught a lot of. As much as I enjoy fishing for any species, when it becomes to easy, it ceases to be fun. I've had a number of days were I just stopped fishing for that reason. It was too easy.

With trout especially, I can recall days were the hatch was heavy, and the fish were doing what they should. A well presented imitation could take fish on every cast. How many fish are enough? 20? 30? 40? 50 fish? More? I've walked away from such scenarios on numerous occassions. Especially if the fish are of the 'cookie cutter' variety.

Today, the perch were just too easy. The bass however were not. So I played the only game in town. The perch can be of a pretty decent size up here. I contented myself as much as I could with targeting the larger specimens.............which I could see fully on the finder..............sitting right next to the bass. The larger perch  I managed to convince to take a worm bounced of the bottom. The Chamois Strip Minnow was again very effective. But it was getting me into a lot of smaller perch. I am going to tie up some weighted versions in hopes of sinking it past the fry to the larger fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment